Xarelto (rivaroxaban) is an oral anticoagulant medicine prescribed for the prevention of blood clot due to atrial fibrillation or after hip or knee replacement surgery. It is also used for treating deep vein thrombosis-DVT or pulmonary embolus-PE.
The Xarelto lawsuits claim that the manufacturer of the drug did not warn doctors and patients of the potential side effects which can cause irreversible internal bleeding.
According to the lawsuits against Xarelto, it also mentions that the manufacturers allegedly failed to provide clear guidance to the physicians in regard to whether a patient was qualified to take the medicine or should stop it if screened with potential health problems.
The key legal issue of Xarelto lawsuits states that it can cause uncontrollable bleeding. Before prescribing the medicine, the patients must be tested to determine whether Xarelto is the correct anti-coagulant or him/her. Also, the patients should be regularly checked to determine whether it is the right drug for them.
Presently, there is no known potential cure to stop or reverse the blood loss by Xarelto. Sometimes emergency dialysis is an alternative however, such procedure leaves the patients with severe pulmonary arterial hypertension at a higher risk. Decreased hemoglobin, infection associated with hip or knee replacement surgery, peripheral edema (lower limb swelling), hematoma and dyspnea are the other potential injuries of Xarelto.
The Plaintiff lawyers claim:-
- Xarelto is an unreasonably dangerous drug with defective features
- Janssen and Bayer failed to warn of the potential for uncontrolled bleeding
- the manufacturer did not properly the medication and was negligent about the quality
- Janssen and Bayer concealed evidence of the serious health risks both from the government and public
How it started
Xarelto became an exceedingly popular drug which is developed by Bayer Health Group and Johnson and Johnson, the two pharmaceutical giants. When the drug was initially approved by FDA in 2011, it spoke of about a lot of promising features over the existing anticoagulant drugs. Although it is generally understood by virtue of its definition, any anticoagulant or blood thinner poses the risk of bleeding, the side effects of Xarelto patients had several harmful health issues, even death. Unfortunately, unlike the previous blood thinners, this drug did not have any anti medication to stop its effects even when hospitalized. This resulted in a number of patients reporting about serious internal bleeding or hemorrhages and eventually death.
More than 18,000 cases pending against Xarelto and its manufacturers.
When to avoid xarelto?
Patients who are allergic to rivaroxaban should not use Xarelto. Xarelto may cause bleeding more easily if:-
- there is an inherent bleeding disorder
- suffered from hemorrhagic stroke
- suffers from uncontrolled high blood pressure
- there is intestinal or stomach bleeding
The doctor must be informed whether there is any history of artificial heart valve or kidney/liver disease. For pregnant women, Xarelto might cause bleeding; so tell your doctor if you are pregnant or have any recent plans to be one.
What to claim?
Patients who suffered from the side effects of Xarelto can claim the following in Xarelto Lawsuits:-
- cost of both the past and future medical expenses pertinent to any Xarelto complication (including surgery, hospitalization, rehabilitation as well as follow-up tests)
- cost of both past and future pain caused due to Xarelto
- compensation for wage loss if any
- punitive damages, if suitable